9/25/2013 6:01:00 AM Quartzsite business a total loss in early Monday morning fire
Times photo/JOANNE WINER
An early morning fire in Quartzsite almost totally destroyed one of the newly opened businesses in town. The Stagecoach Restaurant and Motel suffered heavy damage to the motel units, and the restaurant was lost completely.
Joanne Winer QUARTZSITE TIMES
QUARTZSITE - An early morning fire in Quartzsite almost totally destroyed one of the newly opened businesses in town. The Stagecoach Restaurant and Motel, owned by Carol and Cubby Cubbison, suffered heavy damage to the motel units, and the restaurant was lost completely.
The fire started just around midnight, and firefighters from Quartzsite responded immediately, and before long, units from the Blythe Fire Department, and the McMullen Valley Fire Department out of Salome also helped put out the huge blaze, which was visible all over much of the west end of town. Firefighters stayed all night fighting the flames, which reached from the restaurant at the front of the property, and ended up damaging much of the top floor rooms of the motel. The fire department was still there this morning checking for hot spots and assessing the damage.
The Cubbisons bought the old motel and restaurant just this past spring, and had just opened the motel part of it this summer, after some major renovations to the rooms. They were working on getting the restaurant ready to open by the end of this month.